President Donald Trump said Friday he is deeply disappointed by the Supreme Court’s decision striking down a major portion of his tariff plan. The president said the ruling would put the United States at a disadvantage as he seeks to recalibrate global trade.However, Trump said he is moving forward by invoking Section 122 authority to impose a 10 percent global baseline tariff, The Washington Times reported. “We’re going forward. We’ll be able to take in more money,” Trump said.
Section 122 allows presidents to impose temporary tariffs for up to 150 days to address trade deficits, unless Congress extends the action.
Trump said his administration is also conducting investigations under other statutory authorities to impose tariffs for national security purposes or to correct trade imbalances.In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that Trump overstepped his authority by invoking the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to impose blanket tariffs on individual nations.
“I’m ashamed of certain members of the court, absolutely ashamed for not having the courage to do what’s right for our country,” Trump said during a White House press briefing.
Trump praised Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Brett Kavanaugh for dissenting in his favor.
He sharply criticized the liberal justices as automatic “no” votes.
Advertisement
He added that he at least respected what he described as their consistency, an apparent criticism of conservative justices who joined the majority.
Last year, Trump imposed tariffs ranging from 10 percent to 50 percent on goods from various countries.
Small businesses and several states challenged the tariffs, arguing the administration unlawfully relied on IEEPA authority. They ultimately prevailed before the Supreme Court.
Advertisement
Trump said foreign trading partners are likely celebrating the decision. “They’re dancing in the streets,” he said. “But they won’t be dancing for long.” Trump also criticized what he described as the ruling’s structure.