Former President Barack Obama has publicly addressed the controversy that erupted after President Donald Trump shared — and later deleted — a video portraying Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama as apes. The clip, originally posted on Truth Social earlier this month, sparked widespread backlash. Critics across the political spectrum condemned the imagery as racist and inflammatory. Although the video was removed, Trump declined to issue an apology.
In an interview released Saturday, Feb. 14, with YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen, Obama described the post as “deeply troubling” and reflective of what he sees as a broader deterioration in political discourse. It’s important to recognize that the majority of the American people find this behavior deeply troubling,” Obama said. “It is true that it gets attention, that it’s a distraction, but as I’m traveling around the country … you meet people [and] they still believe in decency, courtesy, kindness. And there’s this sort of clown show that’s happening in social media and on television.”
Obama also expressed concern about what he characterized as a loss of decorum associated with the presidency. There doesn’t seem to be any shame about this among people who used to feel like you had to have some sort of decorum and a sense of propriety and respect for the office. That’s been lost,” he said, again referencing what he called a “clown show” atmosphere in parts of political media.
The now-deleted video, posted on Feb. 5, reportedly featured animated apes dancing to The Lion Sleeps Tonight with the Obamas’ faces digitally superimposed. The post drew immediate condemnation, including from some Republican figures.